Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Flashback of an Eventful Year: 2013



Now that the year 2013 is finally coming to an end, I think I can honestly say that my perspective on jiu jitsu has drastically changed this year in a positive way. Instead of just a hobby or a workout, jiu jitsu has become a passion of mine that has allowed me to travel the world, meet the most genuine people, and achieve goals for myself on a daily basis. 
At the beginning of this year, I was promoted to blue belt. I had a rocky start competing for the first couple of months, but I am slowly learning how to advance my game to the next level in order to be successful. Overall, I was able to end the year with 5 IBJJF medals and 2 Abu Dhabi medals. 


Although I feel like most of my wins and losses are results from my own personal actions, I feel blessed to be surrounded by such an amazing support group: my coach, Felipe Neto, my ZicroBJJ teammates, my family, and my boyfriend, Kyle Huang. They have all helped me so much throughout the year and have always pushed me towards my dreams and goals. I can't thank them enough for all that they have done and still do for me on a daily basis. 



I've only been training jiu jitsu for two and a half years, but the passion I have for training, competing, and helping others is so grand. This is something that I want to do for the rest of my life, to constantly pursue this dream I have. As soon as the new year rolls around, I am going to start training and hitting it hard to get ready for PanAms and Worlds in the Spring. I am hoping to medal and make more of a name for myself at the bigger, well-known tournaments with all of the much-appreciated support that I have. It's been a great year, but I'm more than ready to take on the year 2014 and all it has to offer.


Here's a short clip of some of my matches at the Abu Dhabi trials in October!






Special Thanks to:

Zicro Academy/Alliance Tallahassee: http://www.zicrobjj.com/
Mike Calimbas Photography: http://www.mikecalimbas.com/
Hyperfly Do or Die: http://www.doordie.com

No comments: